Renewable energy-focussed Queenslanders will have all but exhausted the Palaszczuk Government’s solar-battery loan scheme within weeks.
Energy Minister Dr Anthony Lynham said interest-free loans and grants for solar and storage first released two weeks ago were estimated to be taken up by 15 December.
“My advice is to get your quote and apply before it’s too late,” he said.
“We’ve added an extra 1000 packages already due to the success of this program.
“This is about helping Queenslanders reduce their power bills, reduce our emissions as we make the transition to a renewable future.
“This response has yet again highlighted Queenslanders’ thirst for the savings and environmental benefits of renewable energy.”
The scheme offers householders interest-free loans of up to $10,000 and grants of $3000 to purchase batteries or combined solar-battery systems. Small businesses can also apply for the $3000 grant
About 1200 applications have been lodged for the original 1500 packages. Another 1000 packages are being made available, but on the current rate of uptake, these are expected to be taken up by 15 December.
Dr Lynham said Queenslanders could still apply and be placed on a waitlist, in case existing applicants did not install a system, or opted to take just a grant without a loan.
A high energy-using household that contributes $2000 to $3000 towards the upfront cost of their solar and battery system may save $400 a year, even after taking into account their interest-free loan repayments.
This solar-battery scheme comes on top of the scheme that started in June offering interest-free loans of up to $4500 families receiving Family Tax Benefit B to install solar systems.
- Get a quote from an eligible battery supplier for an eligible battery system. You can find a list of eligible suppliers and batteries online at www.qld.gov.au/batteryloans
- Apply online www.qld.gov.au/batteryloans
- Get approved
- Tell your supplier you’re approved and get your system installed. (You cannot get it installed before approval or you’re not eligible.)
- Get back online to have your approved dollar amount paid to your supplier.
- You have six months from approval to get your system installed.