Sunshine Coast upset by ARENA funding rejection for 15MW solar farm

Published by

The big solar plans of Queensland’s Sunshine Coast Council were dealt a blow this week after it said an application for federal government funding via the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) was turned down.

Sunshine Coast Council has been working for years now on plans to become the first local government to build a utility-scale solar farm, lodging a development application in late 2014 to transform 24 hectares of a former sugar plantation near Coolum into a 15MW solar farm.

An artist’s impression of the Valdora solar park

But the Council released a statement on Wednesday saying it had been advised by ARENA that its funding application for the Sunshine Coast Solar Farm had been deemed ineligible due to the fact that the local government group was not incorporated under the Corporations Act.

Gold Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson said ARENA’s decision had been made even more difficult to swallow in light of the Agency’s recent backing of a 25MW solar project in nearby Barcaldine, owned by international developers.

“Last week ARENA announced that they would be providing nearly $23 million in funding to the Spanish company Elecnor to build a solar farm at Barcaldine,” Jamieson said.

“With the addition of $20 million in debt finance from the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, Elecnor will receive more that 63 percent of the $69 million project finance from the Commonwealth Government while our local Council has not received one cent.

“Don’t get me wrong, we fully support the project at Barcaldine, but how a local Council representing Australian taxpayers can be deemed ineligible and a Spanish company be given $23 million in tax payer funds is beyond belief.”

Jamieson – who has called on Federal MPs to explain why ARENA funds are available for a company listed on the Spanish stock exchange but not to Sunshine Coast taxpayers – says his council’s solar plans will go ahead, despite the funding setback.

“By 2017, the 15MW solar farm, covering 24 hectares of a 49 hectare site at Valdora will offset 100 per cent of the organisation’s electricity consumption across all its facilities and operations, with solar energy going back into the grid,” he said.

“The solar farm is estimated to save the Council millions of dollars over a 30-year period based on today’s electricity costs, which are anticipated to increase substantially in the future.


Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of Renew Economy and editor of its sister site, One Step Off The Grid . She is the co-host of the Solar Insiders Podcast. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Recent Posts

Better internet, fewer feral pigs: Developers join forces to make legacy change, cut renewables consultation fatigue

Work is underway on a major telecommunications upgrade – and other practical initiatives – to improve…

22 May 2026

CSIRO is cutting vital climate science jobs. Here’s what’s at stake for Australia

Proposed cuts to staff in CSIRO's environment unit are likely to take in the team…

22 May 2026

“Not just a call centre:” Home battery contender doubles down on Australia-made strengths

In the mad rush to home battery storage, this Australian company is doubling down its…

22 May 2026

Sungrow says advanced inverter trials show they can provide heart-beat of the grid in absence of coal

Chinese power company echoes findings of Tesla and Fluence, saying tests show grid forming inverters…

22 May 2026

Australia just suffered its worst wind and solar “drought” in four years – but needed less gas backup

What happens when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine? Australia got a…

22 May 2026

“No one can sanction the sun, no one can blockade the wind:” Bowen backs electrification at UN climate summit

Australia and Turkey have revealed the global oil crisis will prompt a major focus on…

22 May 2026