Solar

Solar rebate battle continues, as industry readies for “bigger” protest

Published by

One Step Off The Grid

A second major protest in as many weeks will rally outside Victorian Parliament on Thursday, as the solar industry steps up calls for the state government to make urgent changes to its “disastrous” rooftop solar rebate.

The Smart Energy Council on Monday revealed plans for the follow-up rally, this time targeting Premier Daniel Andrews’ office, deemed responsible for the design of the scheme.

SEC chief John Grimes said the event would be “bigger and even more impactful” than the first, when hundreds gathered to protest the devastating effect the rebate has had on many businesses in the state.

“The Victorian government needs to hear loud and clear that their Solar Homes Program has been an absolute disaster and must be fixed immediately,” Grimes said in an email.

The SEC says the industry is calling on the Labor government to abolish the red tape involved in applying for the solar rebate – in this case, an overly complex and glitchy online application process – and to at least halve the dollar amount of the rebate, and then double the number available.

Currently, the rebate offers a maximum discount of $2,225 for a rooftop solar system, for households with a combined annual income of no more than $180,000.

One of the key criticisms of the scheme, however, has centred on its execution, with only 3,333 rebates opened to applications each month. In July, this number was exhausted within three days. Last week, the August allocation was taken up in just 90 minutes.

To read the full story on RenewEconomy sister site One Step Off The Grid, click here…

Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of Renew Economy and editor of its sister site, One Step Off The Grid . She is the co-host of the Solar Insiders Podcast. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Recent Posts

Australia’s biggest energy users are being lined up to break the wind drought in its most coal dependent state

Data centres and the country's biggest aluminium smelter will finally get to break the long…

18 August 2026

The $2.5 billion wind project getting ready for take-off, 23 years after farmer landholders were first approached

After more than two decades of planning, this huge wind project is edging closer to…

18 August 2026

One of Australia’s biggest wind projects seeks green light to add solar and battery

The developers behind a mammoth proposed 1.4 gigawatt (GW) wind farm is seeking federal environmental…

18 August 2026

What federal and state rebate changes mean for C&I solar and batteries – in 8 charts

Eight charts show how two big policy announcements in the space of a fortnight have…

18 August 2026

Safeguard will short-change climate targets, study says, rules should be tougher on fossil fuels

Australian investors are pushing for big changes to Australia's major pollution policy and they could…

18 August 2026

Bigger than Godzilla: Fortescue receives second shipment of turbine parts to top “self-lifting” towers

A second shipment of some of the biggest wind turbine parts yet seen in Australia,…

18 August 2026