Solar

Victoria solar “mess” continues, as Coalition push for inquiry falls flat

Published by

One Step Off The Grid

Victoria’s state Labor government has narrowly avoided a parliamentary inquiry into its controversial rooftop solar rebate, after the state opposition’s bid to establish one was voted down on Wednesday.

Liberal MP Gordon Rich-Phillips moved for the Environment and Planning Committee to investigate the design and implementation of the Andrews government’s Solar Homes Program, with a particular focus on the pre-determined cap for the rooftop PV rebate.

But votes on the inquiry were divided down the middle in the Upper House – 19 ayes, including MPs from the Greens and the Liberal Democrats; and 19 noes, including three cross-bench MPs – and so the question was “negatived.”

The push for an inquiry had been promised to the solar industry by Opposition leader Michael O’Brien, at a public protest against the 2.6GW scheme on the steps of state parliament in late July.

That demonstration – and a second rally outside the Premier’s office last week – saw hundreds of industry members gather to protest a scheme they say has brought non-rebate installations to a halt in the state, forcing job cuts and driving some businesses into liquidation.

The Smart Energy Council, which organised the protests, has called for urgent changes to the scheme, including tightening the eligibility criteria to qualify for the rebate, and a doubling in the amount of rebates offered up to applications each month.

The Andrews government has, however, held firm on the design of the scheme – which offers 3,333 per month of the rooftop solar rebates of $2,225 to households with an annual income no higher than $180,000.

State energy minister Lily D’Ambrosio has argued that the scheme has succeeded in its key goal, of providing rooftop solar to households which otherwise could not afford it, and that solar installers and retailers need to adapt their businesses to work around the rebate.

This is not the experience of many in the industry, however, who say the scheme is poorly designed and overly complex, and rather than boosting installations, has effectively put a cap on the market – and at a size nearly half that of the pre-rebate market.

In comments to One Step on Friday, SEC chief executive John Grimes expressed his disappointment that Parliament had voted down the inquiry, but stressed that industry was “more determined than ever” to fight for changes to Solar Homes.

“Solar workers, solar businesses and solar customers deserve to be heard and, boy, do they have a story to tell,” he said.

“It’s heartbreaking – solar businesses shutting down, people losing their jobs and apprentices being laid off, not to mention solar families facing the loss of their warranties because their installer has gone belly-up.

“This mess must be fixed before 1 September, or Father’s Day will be a day of heartbreak for many Victorian solar workers.”

Victoria’s shadow minister for energy, Ryan Smith said the vote was a “missed opportunity” to “finally shed some light” on the “botched” Solar Homes scheme.

“With …D’Ambrosio in complete denial about the growing range of problems her Solar Homes program has created for the industry, a Parliamentary inquiry would have allowed business owners and those working in the solar industry to tell their stories and demonstrate to the government why an urgent review of the policy is needed,” Smith said.

To read the full story on RenewEconomy sister site, One Step Off The Grid, click here…

Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of Renew Economy and editor of its sister site, One Step Off The Grid . She is the co-host of the Solar Insiders Podcast. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

The clock is ticking on Australia’s promised first offshore wind auction as state election looms

Victoria promised the first offshore wind auction in August and officials say they remain committed…

19 August 2026

Fortescue achieves “first hot metal” using electric smelting, as it seeks to solve Pilbara green iron puzzle

Fortescue's mission to produce "green metal" with Pilbara ore hits a significant milestone, with first…

19 August 2026

Collapsed wind turbine was not blown up by angry Victorian farmers, as claimed on social media

A Facebook post is stirring up opposition to wind power by falsely claiming a photo…

19 August 2026

The Driven Podcast: Robert Llewellyn on the EV boom, China and what’s next for Everything Electric

Fully Charged founder Robert Llewellyn joins The Driven Podcast to discuss the rapidly changing EV…

19 August 2026

“We are still in early days:” Grid battery costs have fallen dramatically, and have more to go

The owner of Australia's most successful big battery developer says costs have fallen dramatically and…

19 August 2026

Australia’s biggest energy users are being lined up to break the wind drought in its most coal dependent state

Data centres and the country's biggest aluminium smelter will finally get to break the long…

18 August 2026