Policy & Planning

Huge offshore project “within days” of being dumped over Trump administration delays

Published by

Norwegian energy company Equinor is reportedly on the verge of terminating the 810MW Empire Wind offshore wind farm off the coast of Long Island due to previously reported delays imposed by Donald Trump’s administration and its anti-wind energy stance.

Described last month as a “chilling signal to any party investing in the US market”, the United States’ government ordered Equinor to halt construction of the fully permitted and shovel-ready 810MW Empire Wind 1 offshore wind farm.  

Doug Burgum, a former presidential candidate and now Interior Secretary, directed the country’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) to halt Equinor from continuing construction of the project, claiming that more time was needed to properly assess the project’s previous approvals.

According to Burgum, approvals for Empire Wind had been “rushed through by the prior Administration without sufficient analysis or consultation among the relevant agencies as relates to the potential effects from the project.”

This was of course factually inaccurate, as Empire Wind had gone through years of standard assessment and approval before being granted the go order to begin construction.

In reality, the decision was just one of many decisions that have been made since Donald Trump re-entered the White House, hellbent on rolling back any and all efforts targeting climate change or clean energy.

In a recent interview with the Associated Press, Molly Morris, president of Equinor Renewables Americas, said that Equinor had already invested over $US2.5 billion in the project and that this was an “urgent, unsustainable situation”, costing the company up to $US50 million per week with 11 vessels on standby.

“If no material progress is made toward a resolution within days, Equinor will be forced to terminate the project,” Morris told AP.

“This is about honouring contracts and financial investments made in the U.S. It could set a dangerous precedent by stopping a project in mid-execution.”

In an effort to secure a conclusion to the delays, Morris and Equinor CEO Anders Opedal reportedly met with Kevin Hassett, director of the US National Economic Council, last Wednesday. While helpful, Morris added that they had asked to set up a meeting with Burgum but have yet to secure such a meeting.

Given Empire Wind’s location off Long Island, in the state of New York, Equinor may find themselves helped by legal action being taken by attorneys general from 17 states and Washington, DC, who are challenging a Trump-signed executive order pausing approvals, permits, and loans for all wind energy projects.

However, with millions being flushed down the drain each week that construction is held up, Equinor is running out of time.

Joshua S. Hill is a Melbourne-based journalist who has been writing about climate change, clean technology, and electric vehicles for over 15 years. He has been reporting on electric vehicles and clean technologies for Renew Economy and The Driven since 2012. His preferred mode of transport is his feet.

Joshua S Hill

Joshua S. Hill is a Melbourne-based journalist who has been writing about climate change, clean technology, and electric vehicles for over 15 years. He has been reporting on electric vehicles and clean technologies for Renew Economy and The Driven since 2012. His preferred mode of transport is his feet.

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

Not a “bunch of yokels:” City mayor lays down “no water, no REZ” demands as region turns dry

City mayor says New England renewable zone depends on state government support for major water…

20 August 2026

Wind and solar investors relieved after Greens and cross-bench win 10-year reprieve on new tax on renewables

Under pressure from all sides, Federal Labor agrees to put more of a buffer between…

20 August 2026

“Trucks, chargers, batteries and green energy:” Fortescue throws AI and data centres into mix in pursuit of real zero

Fortescue settles bill over abandoned electrolyser factory, claims to be biggest builder of solar in…

20 August 2026

Chinese solar inverter executive says tea bag bribe a “cultural thing”, must now leave the country

A Chinese solar energy businessman hid a $20,000 cash bribe in a gift of tea…

20 August 2026

Gas pipeline giant to add another large solar farm and big battery to remote mining region’s power supply

Australia's largest gas pipeline company will build a new off-grid solar and battery project, to…

20 August 2026

“Bikies, criminals, strippers”: Shadow energy minister leaves industry crowd perplexed by speech and gas pledge

Shadow energy minister David Davis took a Gippsland conference crowd on a journey this week,…

20 August 2026