Policy & Planning

Queensland promises $26 billion renewables splurge in state budget

Published by

Australia’s largest renewable energy investment will be unveiled in Queensland’s budget, with Premier Steven Miles committing $26 billion to the plan.

Mr Miles said he had no other option than to make the record injection, with almost 100,000 job losses forecast if Queensland wavered from its renewables path.

The $26 billion investment will fund renewable power, storage and transmission projects, with $8.68 billion in the next financial year alone.

Steven Miles fears mass job losses should Queensland waver from its renewables pathway. (Darren England/AAP PHOTOS)

Mr Miles said economic models indicated Queensland was set to lose out on 87,000 more jobs by 2035 if it failed to meet its 75 per cent emissions reduction target.

“We don’t have an option,” the premier said on Thursday.

“If Queensland doesn’t meet our renewable energy targets, jobs and growth will be devastated.

“Manufacturing would go offshore and regional jobs and industries would be lost.”

The path to zero emissions in the Sunshine State has already been enshrined into law following legislation passing parliament in April.

Queensland is committed to 50 per cent emissions reductions targets by 2030 and 75 per cent by 2035.

The reforms also lock in an 80 per cent renewable energy generation target by 2035 and entrench public ownership of energy assets.

The massive green energy investment to be included in next week’s state budget was about $7 billion more than previously earmarked.

It is set to include $16.5 billion on renewable energy and storage projects as well as $500 million for network batteries and support of local grid solutions.

“We are at a turning point. Our investment in renewable energy is as important today to our economic future as that investment was in the railways in the second half of the 1800s,” Mr Miles said.

“That’s why in next week’s budget we are increasing our investment … to $26 billion over the next four years – the largest investment in income-earning publicly owned renewable energy assets in the nation.”

The Liberal National Party opposition did not support Labor’s renewable energy targets and voted against that bill, but they did support net zero by 2050.

The opposition has faced backlash for throwing its support behind the state government’s budget without having seen the details.

Former LNP premier Campbell Newman was the latest to take aim.

“It’s insane, but more importantly, though, it’s dishonest, it’s disingenuous,” he told ABC Radio Brisbane on Thursday.

“What you’re effectively doing is saying not only are we just supporting the allocation of money, but we’re supporting the agenda of that government.”

Source: AAP

Source: AAP

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

Australia’s biggest publicly owned wind farm gets federal green tick to go ahead in Queensland

Australia's biggest publicly owned wind farm has been cleared for construction in Queensland coal country…

20 February 2026

Energy Insiders Podcast: How industry, AI and data centres are reshaping demand

GridBeyond CEO Michael Phelan on how industrial loads and data centres are being orchestrated by…

20 February 2026

Australian home battery upstart banks “strategic investment” towards manufacturing plans

Perth-based energy storage and off-grid energy system specialist secures a new private equity investor to…

20 February 2026

Can all solar homes become smart energy hubs? On paper – absolutely! IRL, a few hurdles remain

A South Australian trial to turn homes into grid-responsive energy hubs is now 100 households…

20 February 2026

Plan for Australia’s biggest solar-battery hybrid, with eight hours storage, get federal green tick

Plans for one of Australia's biggest solar-battery hybrid projects have been waved through the federal…

20 February 2026

AI + energy: Monster child of Origin and Facebook – or a smart, decentralised grid?

Will AI’s growing role in the grid democratise clean energy, or simply shift power from…

20 February 2026