Policy & Planning

Premier vows to hold vote on Coalition nuclear power plan ahead of federal election

Published by

Queenslanders will be asked to vote in a plebiscite on nuclear energy at the next federal election if Labor Premier Steven Miles is re-elected. 

The premier believes a separate vote on Opposition Leader Peter Dutton’s nuclear proposals can be held at the same time as the federal poll.

“I’ve said I’ll comply with the law,” the premier told reporters alongside Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Monday.

“The law bans nuclear in Queensland but also requires the minister to hold a plebiscite as soon as they reasonably believe that the Australian government intends to build a nuclear reactor.

“Peter Dutton said the first step to get nuclear reactors in Queensland is to elect David Crisafulli – they were his words – and that means that the first step to blocking Peter Dutton’s plan for nuclear reactors is to elect me in October.”

Albanese labelled the federal coalition’s nuclear energy goals a “fantasy”.

“They don’t have a proper plan here, and it’s no wonder that they should be held to account for it,” he said. 

Dutton has promised to build seven nuclear plants across Australia if the coalition wins next year’s federal election.

Two of those proposed sites are in Queensland at existing power plants in Tarong and Callide.

Dutton has previously vowed to override states who refuse to adopt the energy plan.

But Queensland state law forbids the construction and operation of nuclear reactors and other facilities under the Nuclear Facilities Prohibition Act.

LNP leader David Crisafulli, who is on track to lead the opposition to power, stands firmly against the proposal.

Political analyst John Mickel said Labor would use nuclear’s high costs and dependency on water to woo regional voters, if the plebiscite goes ahead.

“What Labor would be trying to do there is bring that issue to the fore,” he told AAP.

Plans to build nuclear plants could cost up to $600 billion and the coalition said nuclear reactors could be online by 2037.

Source: AAP

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

Australia’s biggest energy users are being lined up to break the wind drought in its most coal dependent state

Data centres and the country's biggest aluminium smelter will finally get to break the long…

18 August 2026

The $2.5 billion wind project getting ready for take-off: But what about the crashed Cessna?

After more than two decades of planning, this huge wind project is edging closer to…

18 August 2026

One of Australia’s biggest wind projects seeks green light to add solar and battery

The developers behind a mammoth proposed 1.4 gigawatt (GW) wind farm is seeking federal environmental…

18 August 2026

What federal and state rebate changes mean for C&I solar and batteries – in 8 charts

Eight charts show how two big policy announcements in the space of a fortnight have…

18 August 2026

Safeguard will short-change climate targets, study says, rules should be tougher on fossil fuels

Australian investors are pushing for big changes to Australia's major pollution policy and they could…

18 August 2026

Bigger than Godzilla: Fortescue receives second shipment of turbine parts to top “self-lifting” towers

A second shipment of some of the biggest wind turbine parts yet seen in Australia,…

18 August 2026