Home battery storage installation guidelines released by CEC

Published by

As more and more Australian households look to battery storage as a way to get the most out of their rooftop solar systems, a set of installation guidelines has been released for industry and consumers.

The installation and safety guidelines, released on Friday by the Clean Energy Council and made available on the Solar Accreditation website, were established after extensive consultation with the CSIRO.

The guidelines will have a six month phase-in period before becoming a requirement for installers who are accredited for battery installation from October 2016.

The CEC said on Thursday that the Installation Guidelines for Grid-Connected Energy Systems with Battery Storage aimed to get ahead of what many consider to be the next big wave of the renewable energy transition.

It is estimated that 50,000 battery storage systems could be installed in Australia over the next 12 months, and more than a million within a decade. Some suggest more than two million homes could have battery storage in a relatively short time.

“Everyone is excited by the potential of a future created by a combination of renewable energy, home energy storage and smart energy technologies,” said CEC chief Kane Thornton. “The new guidelines are an important step in making that vision a reality.”

Thornton said batteries, like any electrical device, had risks. Indeed, these risks were highlighted last month, when images of an “exploded” lithium-ion battery storage device in a home garage in Victoria did the rounds of social media.

According to Thornton, the new guidelines – written in “plain language” – provide clear procedures that address community concerns and make it easier for installers to comply with sometimes complex safety standards.

“It is obviously important that industry professionals take these risks extremely seriously and operate in a way that ensures the safety of themselves, their colleagues and consumers.”

The guidelines were welcomed by the federal government, with environment minister Greg Hunt descirbing their development as an important step in ensuring consumer confidence that home battery systems were safe and would work as specified.

“The Clean Energy Council is to be congratulated for taking this pro-active step to ensure the safe installation of battery storage systems,” Hunt said.

Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of Renew Economy and editor of its sister site, One Step Off The Grid . She is the co-host of the Solar Insiders Podcast. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

“Like a fire drill for the grid”: Rooftop solar systems to be switched off to test backstop system

Shutting off rooftop solar is considered a blunt instrument, but a necessary option as household…

22 August 2026

Australia’s first environmental standards promise protection – but raise concerns

Tougher rules to protect Australia's environment have been welcomed by developers, but conservation groups say…

21 August 2026

Energy Insiders Podcast: El Niño is coming

Karl Braganza, head of research at the BoM, explains El Niño and what it means…

21 August 2026

Gas is getting left behind as solar-charged batteries step in to the breach

Freshly minted NEM data shows solar-charged batteries discharging at record levels, helping lower wholesale prices…

21 August 2026

Batteries have flattened the solar duck curve, and their profit margins at the same time

It is now well established that the combination of new renewables and the huge growth…

21 August 2026

New renewables pilot seeks to generate power, and financial returns, for First Nations communities

Remote First Nations renewable energy projects are a complicated sell to investors, but a new…

21 August 2026