Home battery storage installation guidelines released by CEC

Published by

As more and more Australian households look to battery storage as a way to get the most out of their rooftop solar systems, a set of installation guidelines has been released for industry and consumers.

The installation and safety guidelines, released on Friday by the Clean Energy Council and made available on the Solar Accreditation website, were established after extensive consultation with the CSIRO.

The guidelines will have a six month phase-in period before becoming a requirement for installers who are accredited for battery installation from October 2016.

The CEC said on Thursday that the Installation Guidelines for Grid-Connected Energy Systems with Battery Storage aimed to get ahead of what many consider to be the next big wave of the renewable energy transition.

It is estimated that 50,000 battery storage systems could be installed in Australia over the next 12 months, and more than a million within a decade. Some suggest more than two million homes could have battery storage in a relatively short time.

“Everyone is excited by the potential of a future created by a combination of renewable energy, home energy storage and smart energy technologies,” said CEC chief Kane Thornton. “The new guidelines are an important step in making that vision a reality.”

Thornton said batteries, like any electrical device, had risks. Indeed, these risks were highlighted last month, when images of an “exploded” lithium-ion battery storage device in a home garage in Victoria did the rounds of social media.

According to Thornton, the new guidelines – written in “plain language” – provide clear procedures that address community concerns and make it easier for installers to comply with sometimes complex safety standards.

“It is obviously important that industry professionals take these risks extremely seriously and operate in a way that ensures the safety of themselves, their colleagues and consumers.”

The guidelines were welcomed by the federal government, with environment minister Greg Hunt descirbing their development as an important step in ensuring consumer confidence that home battery systems were safe and would work as specified.

“The Clean Energy Council is to be congratulated for taking this pro-active step to ensure the safe installation of battery storage systems,” Hunt said.

Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of Renew Economy and editor of its sister site, One Step Off The Grid . She is the co-host of the Solar Insiders Podcast. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

“We want more batteries:” NSW confirms state rebate will slash costs by up to 40 pct on systems up to 30 MWh

NSW confirms the reboot of its Peak Demand Reduction Scheme, a rebate that will slash…

18 August 2026

Solar stands up during European heatwaves as nuclear and fossil fuels stumble

New analysis shows solar output soared across Europe during recent heatwaves, helping to power the…

17 August 2026

Data centres to get faster nod if they meet energy, grid and water needs

State says data centres will "need to pay their own way," including bringing additional electricity…

17 August 2026

No, Ray Hadley, the collapse of Zen does not mean renewables have failed, nor that more coal will be burned

Zen Energy's failure has inspired the usual suspects to claim renewables don't work. Curiously, planes…

17 August 2026

“It’s literally life-changing for us:” The drought-stricken farmers looking to wind and solar to secure their future

New England farmers say their future, and their succession plans, depend on their ability to…

17 August 2026

Victoria Coalition says it may keep old coal clunkers running, and will scrap plans to move away from gas

Victoria's Coalition is not ruling out coal extensions and is "throwing open the door" to…

17 August 2026