Renewables

Australia’s first offshore wind auction could open within months, contracts awarded by end of 2026

Published by

The Victorian government will seek expressions of interest for offshore wind projects in the Gippsland development zone within a matter of months, kicking off the country’s first auction for offshore wind in the hope that the first contracts will be awarded by the end of 2026.

State energy minister Lily D’Ambrosio said the government is making good progress towards its first offshore wind auction, despite hitting a wall on plans to build the port infrastructure necessary to deliver the projects.

The Victorian government had backed the Port of Hastings as the most suitable location for a central hub to support the state’s offshore wind targets of at least 2GW of capacity by 2032, 4GW by 2035 and 9GW by 2040.

The Western Port Bay location has also been identified as the preferred primary construction port for the 2.2GW Star of the South project – likely to be Australia’s first offshore wind farm.

But preliminary plans for the Victorian Renewable Energy Terminal have been ruled out by federal environment minister Tanya Plibersek as “clearly unacceptable,” due to impacts on the Western Port Ramsar wetlands, which are internationally protected.

As RenewEconomy has reported, the EPBC referral documents proposed the Terminal be built over an area of 146 hectares at the site at the Old Tyabb Reclamation Area, an area that includes the Ramsar wetlands.

The proposed project would require clearing of vegetation and dredging of the seabed to allow deeper ship access, as well as construction of a wharf structure of around 600m long by 100m wide that would be capped with a concrete apron.

Asked on Wednesday if any progress had been made on the stalled plans for the Victorian Renewable Energy Terminal, D’Ambrosio seemed upbeat about a resolution.

“We’re working our way through matters that the Commonwealth has raised,” the minister told the CEDA 2024 Victoria Energy Market Outlook event in Melbourne on Wednesday.

“But we know that there are ways that we can have that balanced outcome, which is protecting biodiversity and getting projects built. So we’re very confident on that,” she said.

“Meanwhile, all the other elements towards getting to our first auction are in place … and we will begin the expression of interest process in a couple of months and look to award the first projects towards the end of 2026. So it’s very exciting.”

Sophie Vorrath

Sophie is editor of Renew Economy and editor of its sister site, One Step Off The Grid . She is the co-host of the Solar Insiders Podcast. Sophie has been writing about clean energy for more than a decade.

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

Australia’s first environmental standards promise protection – but raise concerns

Tougher rules to protect Australia's environment have been welcomed by developers, but conservation groups say…

21 August 2026

Energy Insiders Podcast: El Niño is coming

Karl Braganza, head of research at the BoM, explains El Niño and what it means…

21 August 2026

Gas is getting left behind as solar-charged batteries step in to the breach

Freshly minted NEM data shows solar-charged batteries discharging at record levels, helping lower wholesale prices…

21 August 2026

Batteries have flattened the solar duck curve, and their profit margins at the same time

It is now well established that the combination of new renewables and the huge growth…

21 August 2026

New renewables pilot seeks to generate power, and financial returns, for First Nations communities

Remote First Nations renewable energy projects are a complicated sell to investors, but a new…

21 August 2026

Sod turned at first Hunter REZ project – a solar farm and battery at site of former coal mine

Sod turned at first major solar and battery project to connect to new REZ, at…

21 August 2026