ACT wind auction attracts 18 bids, 1,000MW of proposals

Published by

The huge potential for wind energy development in Australia has been underlined after the ACT government revealed it had received 18 proposals for its first wind power auction.

The ACT government is looking to auction 200MW of wind power capacity this year, and says the 18 proposals it received by the close of the tender last Wednesday totalled more than 1,000MW.

The huge response is probably due to the fact that the wind farm developers do not have any other options at the moment, given the uncertainty around the renewable energy target, which has brought new financing for the large scale wind energy industry to a halt in Australia for nearly two years.

The wind industry is also not likely to receive funds or loans from the other clean energy institutions such as the Australian Renewable Energy Industry and the Clean Energy Finance Corporation. The ACT is offering a feed in tariff that will be set by the results of the wind auction.

“The strong competition for the feed-in tariff is partly caused by the uncertainty created by the Commonwealth’s Renewable Energy Target (RET) review which has hindered other investment in the industry,” Minister for the Environment, Simon Corbell said in a statement.

“Wind is currently a buyer’s market and because of this the ACT can expect lower prices now than if the required investments were deferred to a later time,” Mr Corbell said.

The auction process is being conducted based on the solar auction model used during 2012 and 2013, with the successful proponents granted a feed-in tariff at a fixed rate for 20 years. The first solar farm at Royalla was opened last week, while another at Mugga Lane was given planning approval.

Corbell said that as the costs of energy supplied by fossil-fuelled power plants will rise, the feed-in tariff mechanism will mean the costs to ACT electricity customers will decline from the first day of generation in real terms.

The 200MW of wind power is expected to provide about 24% of the ACT’s electricity consumption in 2020 and is key to the Government’s 90% renewable energy target. Another 50MW of capacity, including storage, will be auctioned next year, and up to another 250MW of wind or solar energy will also be auctioned in coming years.

Among those expected to have submitted bids are Union Fenosa, listed company Infigen Energy (which wants to expand its facilities at the Capital wind farm and nearby Woodlawn), and Windlab.

Most of the candidates are likely to be in the immediate area surrounding the ACT, but Corbell has said it will be open to wind farms further afield. This is likely to include the Hornsdale project in South Australia, now owned by Neoen and Megawatt Capital after a buyout of Investec Australia’s renewable energy portfolio.

Giles Parkinson is founder and editor-in-chief of Renew Economy, and founder and editor of its EV-focused sister site The Driven. He is the co-host of the weekly Energy Insiders Podcast. Giles has been a journalist for more than 40 years and is a former deputy editor of the Australian Financial Review. You can find him on LinkedIn and on Twitter.

Giles Parkinson

Giles Parkinson is founder and editor-in-chief of Renew Economy, and founder and editor of its EV-focused sister site The Driven. He is the co-host of the weekly Energy Insiders Podcast. Giles has been a journalist for more than 40 years and is a former deputy editor of the Australian Financial Review. You can find him on LinkedIn and on Twitter.

Share
Published by

Recent Posts

Quinbrook gets cracking on federal approvals for second huge Supernode batttery

A day after announced full commercial operation of its Supernode battery in Brisbane, Quinbrook has…

19 February 2026

Arrests made after man electrocuted during wind turbine break-in

Spanish police have made arrests after man died from electrocution last year after breaking into…

19 February 2026

SwitchedOn podcast: How will the data industry control the future of clean energy?

What if the clean energy transition is led not by utilities, but by the data…

19 February 2026

Another NSW battery sent for independent review by interstate and long-distance objectors

Plans to develop a 200MW, two-hour battery in NSW have been sent to the Independent Planning…

19 February 2026

If green iron is the future for Whyalla Steelworks, locking in gas is a dead end

Expensive gas is not viable for Whyalla Steelworks, in the interim or the long-term. If…

18 February 2026

“Devastating” summer of bushfires prompts extension of renewables zone consultation

Consultation on five draft onshore renewable energy zones has been extended by three weeks in…

18 February 2026